Saturday 10 September 2016

Strava KOMs don't last long...

Hi all,

For those who don't know what Stava is, it's a ride logging website. It also has things called segments. These are bits of road or trail, normally uphill or technical and the challenge is to navigate it as quickly as possible. The fastest riders get things call KOMs (or QOMs) "Kings Of the Mountain" (or Queens).

I've noticed that over time I was getting faster, and I held the top 3 times in quite a few of my commute segments. Then I realised a couple were in my grasp.

These are tough segments. Bad entries meaning you can't carry speed into them and bad exits meaning you may have to break. As the roads are narrow chances are you will hit traffic, or the roads are in such a state that if you're forced offline you lose time and speed very easily.

Then one day, on the way home, I noticed something.

No headwind.
No leg fatigue.
Not feeling heavy.
Bike feels good.

So I went for it and nailed both KOMs. Boom! Really happy! They don't last long though. I don't hold them any more. For the sake of a few seconds over a mile. The guy who holds the top spot must have had a perfect run.

Here's the strava link:

No comments:

Post a Comment