Wednesday 31 August 2016

Wiggle Spring Sportive 2016

Hi all,

So this year I decided to do my first event. I was fairly nervous to be honest having not done anything like the distance required before but I was certain I could do the distance.

The problem with these events is actually time. If I do this event again I'll keep my average moving speed, but cut my breaks down. Now I've done a few big rides I know what I'm capable of.

The bigger drain on this ride was the wind. It was horrendous. A really strong headwind most of the way round.

I met a friend of mine on the start line, which meant I had a ride buddy. We cleared the first 30 miles quickly, but I really needed him for the last 25 miles. I got huge cramp. Sorry, that's not big enough.

I got HUGE cramp.

Both legs.

It didn't even play nicely. It cramped at extension and reflexion. At one point I had to jump off my bike and lie on the grass for a bit. Eventually it gave way and I could jump back on for a mile or so. It really tested me.

Saying all that, it was good fun. Pretty cool stuff. I met some nice people, I got overtaken by a really old gentleman making a noise like a steam train. I couldn't keep up with him!

I will do the one later this year, but I'll definitely do the spring one next year.

Photos and Strava below:

I don't know who this guy is. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment